The Strelitzia Reginae 'Bird of Paradise' plant is a large, upright plant with glossy, banana-shaped leaves that fan out. Its Bird of Paradise name derives from its unusual flowers, which resemble brightly colored birds in flight. This plant needs sunlight and warm temperatures to thrive.
Ed's Plant Profile
- Botanical Name: Strelitzia Nicolai
- Common Name: Bird of Paradise
- Family: Strelitziaceae
- Native Range: South Africa
Ed's Care Guide
- Care Level: Moderate to easy
- Light: Prefers bright, indirect light
- Water: Water thoroughly. Allow soil to completely dry out before watering again
- Humidity: High humidity
- Temperature: 65-50F
- Pruning: Prune as needed to remove brown or dead leaves.
- Feeding: Fertilize every 2 weeks in Spring and once per month in summer with a soluble plant fertilizer.
- Growth: Upright
- Common Pests: Look out for mealy and scale insects
- Toxicity: Toxic to humans and pets