Scindapsus pictus 'Silver Hero' is a new hero plant of our shop, and we can't stop staring at it. The foliage of the 'Silver Hero' has a fabulous shimmer of silver, that reminds us of the glaze on a fabulous donut. Give the 'Silver Hero' a trellis or moss pole to climb up and it will reach skyward indefinitely. As the foliage of the 'Silver Hero' mature, the depth of the silver foliage becomes richer and more pronounced.
The 'Silver Hero' is easy to grow and even easier to fall in love with.
Ed's Plant Profile
- Botanical Name: Scindapsus pictus 'Silver Hero'
- Common Name: Silver Hero Scindapsus, Scindapsus Platinum
- Family: Araceae
- Native Range: Southeast Asia
Ed's Care Guide
- Care Level: Easy
- Light: Prefers bright to medium indirect light. Direct sunlight will scorch its leaves, and too-little light will result in slow growth and the leaves to lose variegation.
- Water: Water thoroughly and allow the top 1-2in of soil dry out between watering. The plant will let you know it's thirsty when the foliage begins to droop. Water less frequently in winter.
- Humidity: 40-60% relative humidity
- Temperature: 60-85F. Avoid cold drafts.
- Pruning: Prune as needed to remove brown or dead leaves.
- Feeding: Fertilize monthly during spring and summer with water-soluble fertilizer diluted by half.
- Propagation: Stem Cuttings
- Growth: Trails 3 ft or more
- Common Pests: Mostly resilient to pests
- Toxicity: Toxic to humans and pets