Hypoestes phyllostachya, commonly called the 'Polka Dot Plant', are lively little plants with paper-thin, brightly spotted leaves of pink, green and white. These plants are easy to look after and thrive in bright, indirect light. Exposing this plant to bright light allows the plant to have the colorful leaves that it does. They are mainly grown for their colorful foliage. Given its desire for humidity, this plant looks great as accent foliage in a terrarium or plant grouping, where humidity is maintained throughout the winter months.
Ed's Plant Profile
- Scientific Name: Hypoestes phyllostachya
- Common Name: Polka Dot Plant
- Family: Acanthaceae
- Native Range: South Africa, Madagascar, and south east Asia
Ed's Care Guide
- Light: Prefers bright light but can thrive in medium light. The more light that the leaves are exposed to, the more colorful the leaves will be.
- Water: Keep the soil moist in the summer growing season and reduce watering in the winter.
- Humidity: High
- Temperature: Requires moist air and temperatures around 75 degrees Fahrenheit
- Pruning: Prune as needed to remove brown or dead leaves and control growth.
- Feeding: Fertilize weekly with a weak liquid fertilizer during spring and summer
- Propagation: Seed or cuttings
- Pests: Look out for scale, whitefly, and aphids on these plants and treat at the very first sign of infestation.
- Toxicity: Non-toxic to humans and pets. However, as with all plants, we recommend you exercise caution with children and pets.
What to expect
You will receive a healthy plant that meets our rigorous quality standards in nursery pot size of your choosing. No two plants are alike, and yours will have its own unique shape, size and personality; expect this natural variation from the photos.